Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Well, I'm off at my exciting summer occupation of teaching kids web design at a technology camp. My job often consists in saying things like:

"I don't really care if you mash all your food in a plastic tumbler. Perhaps you enjoy having your turkey dinner in smoothie form. Fine with me. But the cafeteria lady is looking at us funny. So stop."

"Please stop poking him. He already asked you to stop poking him."

"Don't walk in the street."

"The speed limit for rolling chairs in this computer lab is 3 miles an hour."

"No, you can't put that picture on your web page. We have a strict 'no graphic evisceration' policy at this camp."

Also, while taking the kids to the computer lab for an evening activity, I managed to set off the burglar alarm. Yay me! Now I'm typing this, watching my charges rot their brains with video games, and wondering idly whether the police are going to come.

On the other hand, my new room does have a view of three cities. And, umm, I'm almost half way through Anna Karenina.

I didn't get the job at google (though going in for the interview was fun...lava lamps galore in their offices). Doubtless, this means I am destined for despair and penury, possibly with potato vodka involved.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Leithers--Yay Anna K.! (Or yay Tolstoy, as Anna herself is sort of a drip, in MHO.)

--Catherine

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS--Sorry about the Google job. Wah.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALETHIEA!!
i am SO glad you are reading anna kerenina. i read that in highschool when i was caught between two boyfriends, just like anna. it helped. i identified. i did not, however, end up throwing- oh shit, i dont want to ruin the ending. never mind.
read on, my friend. mr. wadzinski or however you spell that consarn name of his recommended i read madam bovary since i claimed to like flaubert. or however you spell that consarn name of his. so im reading it. its like anna K only FRENCH.
love,
marian

11:26 AM  
Blogger Wavelet said...

I am truly enjoying Anna K. Right now, I'm kinda reflecting on the societal double standards portrayed; certainly, adultery is much more socially unacceptable if you are a woman, but on the other hand, the fact that men can commit adultery and remain in society means that they never really realize the need for morality. So the men are more unlucky, in a way. Oblonsky will never be as complete a human being as Dolly (err, as far as I've read, anyway).

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home