Monday, August 02, 2004

I really like teaching. Although I bitch about the evil children non-stop, still, for every stinker, there are several cool, intelligent, individualistic kids who go through my class. Kids who make me wonder "Gee, why couldn't I have been that smart, collected, and independent at the age of 11?" Kids like R., an awesome 12 year old girl who can kick anyone's ass and who wants to be a professional sports announcer, or J., an 11 year old boy who dyed his hair pink and programs robots to break dance.

I especially love the geeks who go through my class. The socially awkward kids who, if you're patient, will wax eloquent about their oddball interests and obsessions. I already know that they are in for a painful adolescence, what with teenage society being cruel to shy, self-conscious introverts, and all.

One unpleasant aspect to teaching: having a parent come in, look at the intricate Flash movie/piece of Javascript coding/whatever that their kid worked on all week and is sodamnproudof, say "hmm" and wander away. What asshats. Somewhere, in the kid ownership manual, there is a section which CLEARLY STATES that you are morally obligated to be enthusiastic about all objects hand-crafted by your kid. This includes coding projects as well as finger paintings and small ceramic pots.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Aletheia. I found your blog through Charlie, and I knew you previously through your old website and the NBTSC server. I remember with embarrassment a few of the debates I had with you on IRC; I argued some stupid things, or at least argued them stupidly, but hey, I was thirteen. Anyway, I just wanted to say I continue to read your stuff and admire you. Also, can I point others to your page when I say I'm a punk rock philosopher? I think you defined it well.

I have a livejournal, but it is a silly place...

Rachel

1:28 AM  
Blogger Wavelet said...

Ciao Rachel!

It's all right, I was hardly the most reasonable 13 (14? 15?) year old either. Hmm. The NBTSC crowd seems to have migrated to livejournal...interesting.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NBTSC crowd seems to have migrated to livejournal...interesting.Yep. It's a coincidence in my case, though - I found livejournal before the others did and joined after most of them did.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home