Sunday, August 29, 2004

sing sha la la la la la la la

Odd experience du jour: polishing up my trigonometry skills while waiting for my clothes to dry in the Mexican laundromat (rife with frenetic children who climb on top of the washing machines, as well as muscular men decked out in gold chains and wearing wife beaters who swagger to and fro holding hampers...macho laundry).

Had a lovely weekend with some wonderful old (young) friends. We wandered through botanical gardens and whatnot in San Diego, inspected the restaurant menus at snooty ethnic venues for the hipster kids (this one restaurant owner came outside and, after some idle chitchat, told Joel to "party on, Garth"...not Wayne, Garth...I liked that), got lost in a mall, and saw what had to be the world's most beautiful sunset on a beach in Carlsbad. Why in all freak didn't I bring my camera, that's wot I'd like to know?! The universe has a conspiracy going on...it only manages to be paradisically scenic on days when I don't have film. Err. Anyway. I had fun. I feel infinitely more single, now, though. Being around happy, well-adjusted couples does that to me.

Maybe I should ask out one of the hott guys who wander around local strip malls wearing capris (I kid you not, that's the latest fad in SoCal...dudes wearing man-capris which show off their hairy calves).

School prep goes well. I'm really in awe of one of my co-teachers. She worked as a lawyer for some decades, and then as a canon lawyer for the local diocese, then quit because all she really wanted to do was teach high school. She's amazingly smart, exudes competence, and yet, is incredibly humble. I continually marvel at the virtue of humility, especially as regards intellectual accomplishments. In contrast, when I know the answer to a question, it's all I can do to refrain from bolting out of my seat and running a victory lap around the room. And possibly singing a little victory song, which might involve it being my birthday, or my possession of a bitchin' camaro.

2 Comments:

Blogger clara said...

ditto! also, in the prime of my oh-so-single-ness i would gladly take capri-clad males over the mulleted gents running rampant up north. oh yes, strip malls have not been invented here either--it's walmart or bust, baby. gotta love it.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you've got a good job and are enjoying life. Is it really your birthday? Or is everyday your birthday (that would be fun)? If it is or was a couple of days ago, Happy Birthday and many more years. If it isn't, Happy Birthday anyway, whenever it is. Kitty (in Gallup, NM) :)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home