Sunday, September 19, 2004

I have a love/hate relationship with my area of California. On the one hand, this is definitely not a haven for young quasi-intelligentsia. Non-Starbucks coffee shops are few and far between, and more likely to be patronized by tired construction workers than apple laptop using hipsters. I recently discovered the only used bookstore in a fifteen mile radius. It isn't a particularly good bookstore...the prices are a bit high, the selection a bit low. My joy at the mere fact of its existence, though, was enough for me to start a gushing five minute conversation with the bookstore owner (he probably thought I was a crazzzy lady with an Asian cook book fetish). The movie theaters hereabouts are huge and well maintained, the libraries non-existent.

On the whole, this city is a bit of a cultural wasteland. And yet...the gentle ocean breezes and cloud formations and lush coastal vegetation really resonate somewhere in my soul. It's as if a whole tribe of mall-infatuated, tee-vee-watching, suv-driving troglodytes decided, on a whim, to set up shop in the garden of Eden.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh heh. Yeah. Your last sentence reminds me of my 'hood, in the Inland Empire, except for that garden of Eden part.

But as for those apple laptop using hipsters, they're all pretentious assholes anyway, you know...
-- Endless

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post, dammit! And, um, yeah...I'm working on that "sending R[idley] an email thing." Soon, ok?

Catherine

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops...I meant to post that last comment on R[idley's] blog and not yours (you can delete it! please?). Guess I got a little ahead of myself with the links. Can you tell I just got up?

Catherine

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home