Friday, October 15, 2004

I love-hate you-no-one.

To quote a dear friend of mine, "HA!!!"

Where would you send a brilliant adolescent, these days? There are a few of my students who, I think, have un-tapped potential...you know the drill..."bright but unmotivated." Of course, they are slackers to the core, but much more endearing than the grade-grubbing over-achievers. They need some sort of awakening, a few years hence, but I don't know a college which I could whole-heartedly recommend. My alma mater? Not really...I love individual tutors there, but overall it can be a very frustrating experience. Any other Catholic college? No. And, bleh. Kid, you'll go to Magdalen over my dead body...

Secular liberal arts institutions? Tend towards extreme stupidity. Caltech/MIT/Reed? This is within the realm of plausibility. It never *hurts* to become proficient in math and logic...

Gads. I don't know. All these young folks, lacking (and looking for) something that just doesn't come prepackaged...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home