Thursday, May 12, 2005

I'm heading to a graduation this weekend at the alma mater. There are a lot of people graduating from various places in the next few weeks...the process of college graduation marks for some (heh, not all) the final drop-kick into the proverbial realm of real life. So. Ahem. As an AGED, and VENERABLE spinster, of SPOTLESS REPUTATION and CONSIDERABLE LEARNING, I feel it my duty to impart to you young people some advice:

Don't try to find a Purpose in Life. Find something to take care of.

Everyone's vocation in life, whether it be to marriage, to remain single, or to enter a religious order, is going to be fulfilled in the mode of motherhood or fatherhood (in some cases biological, in some cases spiritual). It's never too early to start practicing the nurturing of ungrateful children. In fact, I would be so bold as to say, the transition to maturity begins when you stop saying "I'm soooo screwed up, why won't someone fix meeeeee!" and start saying "Well, God will fix me. Eventually. I hope. In the meantime, what can I do to help others along in this messy, painful business of being alive?"

The problem that a lot of folks face today is that they have to become nurturers and lovers without themselves ever having much of nurturing or love. Also, lots of people have a hard time finding a vocation in life which makes good use of their abilities. Too many options. We should really just be sold as apprentices at the age of fourteen, or something. So, I'm not saying that you should stop whining completely (I whine constantly...I think it's good for the spleen). However, you should find something to take care of, some unlikely soul to befriend, some forlorn project to take charge of, some metaphorical mangy dog to de-louse. Waiting around for the perfect job, the perfect spouse, the perfect monastery, where you'll be just perfect and holy and happy and covered in lovey dovey love...is not how maturity happens. Rather, find something or someone in need of love, and give it. Rinse and repeat. Until one day you find out that you're living your vocation, instead of waiting around for the Vocation Bunny to leave your purpose in life under your pillow.

(also, if you ever visit my family, make sure to ask my dad about the Crap Fairy. it's a much more viable concept than the Vocation Bunny, honest.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my dear, are wise beyond your years. My compliments to those who found in you something to take care of. Did I just end a sentence with a preposition?

While you're traipsing about that hallowed valley, make sure to say hello to Miss Molly. She once told us (it that high-pitched voice, of course) that all fallen away Catholics either become atheists or student dolphins. There's some truth in that. I do hope she's doing well. Oh, and send a shout out to Mad-dog Kelly, the most underappreciated tutor and one-time Dean of Students.

Finally, avoid that awful chicken dish they always serve at "important" events; and stay away from the golf-cart.

8:30 PM  
Blogger ridley said...

[william h. macy from magnolia] I...I have love to give! *sob*

Awesome post, dude. Have a blast at graduation, and give Big John a big wet kiss for me, m'kay?

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home