Monday, October 03, 2005

i know where the summer goes

Sometimes, I feel as if my line of work (the edumacating of the Catholic private school students) is not where I should pause. After all, although I am kept on my toes intellectually, I am not really learning anything new. Rather, I'm taking what I know already (be it pre-algebra or sixth grade catechesis) and figuring out ways of presenting it effectively to the middle school set. I crave more in the way of discussion and debate than I get in my day to day life. I haven't yet resorted to making hand puppets for each of the Pre-Socratic philosophers and talking to myself, but it may come to that.

On the other hand, I'm certain that I am performing a good and useful function right now, albeit a humble one. Forming young people in the Faith is necessary. Teaching them how to read critically and write well is necessary. My students need the help I provide. Would I be needed, really, in another field? Also, the sense that I am responsible for providing a good moral example for forty-odd souls keeps me on the straight and narrow (*cough* more or less *cough*). Would I be as good, elsewhere?

Anyway. PHILOSOPHIC SOCK PUPPETS will make up for the lack of a philosophobabble fellowship. I'm designing a line of them. Hegel is particularly entertaining to animate, but his button eyes keep falling off.

3 Comments:

Blogger Prophet said...

Delightful.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" . . . I am kept on my toes intellectually . . . " On the other hand if you moved to the lower grades you would rarely be forced to your toes physically!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know how you feel. i often wonder the same about teaching high school. but i always come back to aristotle's words about early formation, i'm actually making a bigger difference in the students' live, that the early years of one's education matter more. such and opportunity to help them

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home