Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I don't wear much makeup to teach class. My mornings are rushed enough as it is, and the only people I see during a typical school day are my twelve-fourteen year old students, my mostly married or female coworkers, and the gym teacher (who, God bless him, eats his sushi with a fork).

On one occasion, though, I did wear lipstick to class. My students were tremendously impressed by this, commented on it several times, and still refer back to the occasion wistfully. Sometimes I'll call on one of them, and it will turn out that they do not want to tell me about apostolic succession, nor still do they have a question about the titles of the Church; instead, they want to know "When will you wear lipstick again, Miss P?"

It's a bit over the top. Then last week, I wore a new skirt for the first time in...a while. This set them into ecstasies. The quality and color of the skirt were extolled. Suggestions of which of my (five or so) shirts I could pair with it were given. Finally, after I thought the novelty had died down, Katie raised her hand with a thoughtful expression on her face. "Miss P?" "Yes?" "You know what would go good with that new skirt?" "Nooo.." "That lipstick you wore the one time."

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

That reminds me of the days when I was a junior high student at a tiny Catholic school. It's kinda scary how much we knew about our teachers.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home