Monday, July 10, 2006

Did NOT get the Kaplan job. Dammit all. This is a short summary of my job searchiness:

- interviewed for a part time middle school science teaching position at a local, extremely expensive private school (I know, I said I wasn't going to teach, but it was a part time position, so...). The interviewer told me that they wanted me not to use textbooks (translation: we haven't found a good curriculum, so we want you to design one! for free!). Also, the school has no classroom discipline policy (translation: the parents are paying good money! let the kids act like monkeys if they want!). My mild expressions of dismay at both of these job features may have worked against me during the interview.

- interviewed with Kaplan. Apparently, being able to tutor the GRE Verbal section is too esoteric a skill. Or possibly my presentation on "how to write a thank you note" was not all that and a bag of chips. Who knows. Eh, they are a racket anyhow. I didn't want a cut of the cold hard cash they make off of young people's hopes and dreams anyway...wait, actually, I did...

- interviewed with two temp agencies. This was fun, because you get to take computer tests, and I have a perverse fondness for test taking. "Well, I may be unemployed, but this test demonstrates that I am a Master Excel User! Take THAT, universe!" Have not as of yet been assigned by either agency.

- talked to various East Bay tutoring companies. Most of them sound positive, but they aren't hiring until August.

- sent off numerous resumes and cover letters for administrative and tech support type positions on Craigslist (all other job posting sites are so hard to navigate and heavily riddled with spam as to be unusable). No response, but writing cover letters is extremely entertaining.

Well, this is all sort of disheartening. My sole consolation is that, thanks to my twelve month payment schedule, I am currently being paid full salary to do NOTHING WHATEVER.

1 Comments:

Blogger Herreid said...

I know why you didn't get the Kaplan job. According to your link about pants:

Twelfth, when any woman who gives up wearing pants and who strives to dress in a manner pleasing to Christ and Mary, even though the culture around her tells her otherwise, she will be blessed by God and her prayers will be answered.

See? God can't hear you when you wear pants.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home